This course provides guidance for facilitators who want to develop a collaborative relationship with clients and provide value in every step of the process. While primarily aimed at external facilitators who are hired for specific projects, the content is also useful for those who facilitate internal meetings as part of their job.
Course content is divided into seven, action-oriented sections:
- Be credible
- Market your services
- Navigate exploratory conversations
- Clarify your role
- Draft a proposal
- Calculate the cost and convey the value of your services
- When to say "no thanks"
Plus 18 "Pro Tips" embedded throughout the course, specific advice to help you get hired as a facilitator.
I am passionate about working with leaders and teams who are struggling to address complex social and organizational issues that cannot be solved by the old, top-down decision-making models. I help them develop the “whole system” perspective and collaborative skills needed to make a positive difference in the communities and businesses they serve.
The one sentence version: I help leaders eliminate boring, unproductive meetings, organization-wide.
Other relevant data
- Founder and director of the International Institute for Facilitation and Change. a consulting firm based in Mexico.
- A native of the United States, I have made Mexico my home since 1998.
- IAF Certified™ Professional Facilitator
- Languages: English and Spanish
- Have worked in over 30 countries, serving clients such as UNICEF, World Wildlife Fund, Inter-American Development Bank, and the International Center for Development Research, as well as many local initiatives.
- B.A, McGill University (Canada); M.A., University of Chicago
- President of the International Association for Public Participation (2006)
- Board of Directors of the International Association of Facilitator (2011-2016).
- Introduction to Consensus
- What do facilitators really do? (4-minute video translated into 7 languages)
- The Bonfire Collection: a complete reference guide to facilitation and change.
- No More Boring Meetings: 21 practical strategies for leaders and teams.
- Many articles about facilitation and effective meetings
Email: [email protected]
Frequently Asked Questions
I have been facilitating groups since the 1990s and I wish that I had the professional advice offered in this course when I was getting started.
So whether you are an independent consultant who sells your services to companies or a member of an internal facilitation team, I created this course for you – because now more than ever, the world needs your facilitation!